This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PurinaMysteries #CollectiveBias
My family’s favorite time of year is without a doubt summer. After months of being stuck indoors with cold/icy/snowy weather, we can’t wait to get outside and soak up the sun. The family member that enjoys the summer sunshine the most though, is our dog Julio. He is right alongside us every step of the way with all of our summer adventures. Since Julio was a puppy he has loved taking hikes in the woods, swimming in nearby ponds or streams, and playing soccer games in the backyard with the family. If anyone in our family is outside, it’s a safe bet that Julio is right there next to them. We have such special memories from each summer beginning with his first one with us after he joined our family in July of 2011.
Since walks and traveling are part of our routine with Julio during the warmer months of the year, we always stay prepared with a few key essentials. Just as I pack a few necessities for my three daughters before a hike or trip to the park, I also bring along some items for our dog. Once the weather starts warming up, we head over to one of our favorite pet stores, PetSmart to shop for everything we need to maintain Julio’s summer travel kit. One thing we always purchase at PetSmart no matter the season, is Purina® dog food. While dog food may seem like a basic necessity, it is highly significant in maintaining his health. We choose Purina® Dog Chow® because it has perfectly balanced nutrition for our little guy and he loves the delicious taste. PetSmart is always stocked up on Purina dog food and treats, and through the month of May, when you purchase $40 worth of select Purina products you will receive a $10 PetSmart gift card! Simply upload your receipt here before 7/9/17, register your contact information, and you will receive your gift card within 4-6 weeks. We bought several bags of Julio’s favorite Purina food and will use the gift card to help purchase some special treats and toys for him! Listed below are the top essentials we bring along with our pup as we travel in the summer months.
- Travel Bowls: I love collapsible travel bowls because they can easily fit in a small bag or backpack. Food and hydration are key when your dog is active, especially when on the go in warm weather. I always bring these bowls along so he can have a little food or water wherever we are headed. They are also great for a picnic in the park!
- Water Bottle: Standing water and ponds can harbor bacteria and parasites that will make your dog sick. I bring along a large bottle of cold water when we are headed out so our dog always has access to fresh water.
- Leash/Collar: This is an obvious travel kit essential but its nice to keep an extra collar and leash in case you walk out of the house without your regular leash or something happens while your out to your other leash/collar. You should always keep control of your dog at all times with a 6 foot leash.
- Dog Food and Treats: If your headed out for an extended period of time and your pup is active and burning calories, a little dog food or a few dog treats are good to have on hand. Dog food or treats will provide quick energy and motivate your dog to continue on a trail hike.
- Plastic Bags: This is another obvious item to include in your travel kit but I have witnessed pet owners leave behind their pet’s “business”. Always be prepared with a couple of plastic bags so you can pick up your dog’s droppings and place in the nearest trash can.
- Towel: A towel is a great item to bring along if your dog gets wet after a swim or needs a comfortable place to sit. It can also be soaked in cold water to help cool him down on hot days.
- Dog Booties: Keep some booties on hand for your dog if your embarking on a particularly rough trail to protect his paws from scratches or injury. They are also great to have when the ground is scorching hot from the sun.
- First Aid Kit: You never know what you might encounter when out with your pet. For this reason, a first aid kit is important to have so you can respond appropriately to minor injuries.