This post contains affiliate links. I will be compensated if you click on a link and make a purchase.
I am continually amazed at the manufacturing of infant car seats containing a variety of toxic chemicals and the lack of public disapproval. For me it seemed unnatural after attempting to keep my pregnancy as organic as possible to place my precious newborn daughter in a seat treated with toxic flame retardants. Thyroid problems, learning and memory impairment, decreased fertility, and behavioral changes are just a few of the possible side effects associated with the exposure to brominated and chlorinated flame retardants. With your little one’s developing system being highly susceptible to these chemicals as well as the large amount of time he/she will be in the seat, it is very important to choose a more natural option. Additionally, in warm weather the chemicals in these seats can break down at a faster rate and likely increase toxicity (source). For further information regarding the use of chemical flame retardants in children’s products as well as their adverse effects on health, Environmental Science & Technology has a great research article found here. Fortunately, there are some great options available that are less toxic than conventional car seats (while still complying to federal flammability standards).
The Nuna Pipa infant car seat is a top choice as it made with OKEO-TEX fabrics and fiber fill. Additionally, all plastics and metals comply with European REACH and EN71 standards as well as CPSIA in the US. The company strives to be green in their manufacturing process as well using solar panels, recycled packaging, recycled water and plastic waste, and more to keep their carbon footprint down. This seat is available for purchase is a variety of colors.
- Lightweight and contoured aluminum handle bar for easy carrying*Removable two-position sun canopy with mesh window
- Special UV fabric and mesh for breathability and sun protection
- Revolutionary dream drape for weather protection with hidden magnet attachment
- Infant insert for smaller babies
- 5-point safety harness
- Side impact protection
- Exceptionally durable shell made from premium plastic
- Rear-facing seating only
- Weight capacity: 4-32 lbs.
The UPPAbaby Mesa Infant Car Seat is all about premium features, chic elegance, and that trademark ease-of-use factor. And, this model offers something that no other car seat out there does: chemical-free fire resistance thanks to its wool blend fabric. It also boasts UPPAbaby’s SMARTSECURE System, which utilizes a tightness indicator and self-retracting mini LATCH connectors that help get that quick, accurate, and easy installation all parents love — in 10 seconds or less. It even has a built-in lock-off for secure seatbelt installation that takes the guesswork out of installing the car seat.
- New lightweight model
- Wool fabric
- First-of-its-kind, chemical-free, fire resistance
- NHSTA 5-star rating
- An industry first, the UPPAbaby SMARTSECURE System’s 10-second accurate install give parents the visual confirmation and confidence that their infant is properly latched in
- Unique no-rethread harness eliminates the need to take apart the harness system as baby grows
- Adjustable headrest with Side Impact Protection
- Sleek, top-quality Clek Foonf Convertible Car Seat
- Extended rear-facing use up to 50 lbs. for added safety
- Rigid-LATCH for easy installation
- Steel anti-rebound bar
- Energy-Absorbing Crumple Technology with honeycomb deformable core in seat base
- Advanced Side Impact protection
- Deep side wings, energy-absorbing foam and adjustable structural headrest
- Fits 3-across in most cars
- GREENGUARD Select Certified Crypton Super Fabrics
- Resistant to stains, moisture and bacteria
- No brominated or chlorinated flame retardants