Baby/New Mom

5 Alternatives to Baby Rice Cereal

May 6, 2013

This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a commission.

After the Consumer Report’s study regarding high levels of arsenic in rice (including organic) came out last year, my family decided to cut all rice out of our diets. Coincidently, the same week the study was published my daughter was going to start on baby rice cereal and I had unknowingly purchased one of the brands with the highest levels. Obviously, I disposed of the cereal and began searching for alternative grains. I learned first, that although rice is recommended by almost every pediatrician as a first food due to it’s low risk of allergic reaction and easy digestion, it is not absolutely necessary. Squash, bananas, or sweet potatoes are wonderful first starter foods for baby and substantially more healthy. I also learned about several grains that are perfectly safe for baby and excellent alternatives to rice cereal.

Quinoa

Quinoa is actually not a grain, but rather a seed and is packed with nutritious elements like protein, iron, fiber, and calcium. It is small and round and can be given on it’s own or easily blended into baby’s mashed fruits or vegetables for added texture. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse before preparing as saponins (naturally occurring plant chemicals) can cause a bitter taste. We prefer the True Roots brand.

Amaranth

Amaranth is another seed which is often referred to as a grain. This highly nutritious food is prepared in the same way as rice and is gluten-free. Amaranth is a good source of protein, iron, calcium and fiber. Find it here.

Millet

This small, round, gluten-free seed is great starter food for baby. Prepare is as you would rice or quinoa and use a food processor to create a fine consistency for baby’s cereal. Shop millet here.

Kamut

This nutrient rich whole grain, is closely related to wheat but has significantly more protein (approximately 30% more). It is available in a variety of forms but likely the most easy to prepare for baby would be puffed Kamut. Puffed Kamut also makes a great finger food- find it here!

Oats

Oats are readily available at almost every supermarket and several organic infant cereal brands offer an oatmeal cereal. They contain protein, calcium, fiber, iron, and several other nutrients. Oatmeal mixes very well with breastmilk to create a nice cereal for baby. We typically use this brand.

You Might Also Like

8 Comments

• Reply Kim May 6, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Thanks for this very timely post…we are just now wading into solid food territory and honestly I already forgot about the arsenic in rice issue.
    It’s a challenge to remain an informed consumer when it comes to the food we eat these days. Thank you!

• Reply Peace Love Organic Mom May 7, 2013 at 3:48 am

Absolutely–So glad you found it helpful!

• Reply Jennifer @ Every Breath I Take May 7, 2013 at 6:48 pm

So true! Have you heard of or read anything about the Baby Led Weaning approach to solids? I think it may fit very well with your values. Thanks for sharing with Tuesday Baby Link Up Community!

• Reply I Thought I Knew Mama May 13, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Thanks so much for these great suggestions and for linking up at The Tuesday Baby Link Up! We avoided rice cereal as well.

I will be featuring your post in tomorrow’s link up!

• Reply Rachel R. May 13, 2013 at 11:57 pm

You might want to look into alternatives to grain-first introduction of solids, too. It was a huge “aha!” for me when I saw it pointed out that grains are the most ILlogical place to start with solids. In fact, the standard modern order of introducing foods is almost exactly *backward* from the traditional or common-sense way of doing it. Breastmilk is primarily fat and protein, with simple sugars, NOT carbs. Babies are best able to digest fat and protein – and simple sugars (like fruit), with their ability to digest carbs not being fully developed until they’re about a year-and-a-half old! So believe it or not, MEAT is actually a better first food than rice or oatmeal.

• Reply Peace Love Organic Mom May 14, 2013 at 12:59 am

Thanks for that info Rachel. That makes sense as meat contains the iron, protein and other essential nutrients for baby as well. However, my family tries to limit our meat intake so we opted for the above nutrient rich grains and a variety of fruits/vegetables like avocado and squash for our little one.

• Reply Alice Emma Thompson May 16, 2013 at 4:51 pm

What a fab post – I love quinoa but never thought of giving it as baby food.

Thank you so much for linking up at the Friday Baby Shower – Alice x