Starting your own organic garden is one of the best ways to save money on organic produce while also being eco-friendly. Every year my family plants and maintains an organic backyard garden with a variety of delicious fruits and vegetables. I love being able to walk into my backyard and pick vegetables I will use the same night to prepare dinner. Throughout the late Spring and Summer, I plan to post photos of the progress of our garden as well as including relevant recipes.
Below are some photos of our garden currently (all seedlings right now).
Helpful tips for starting you own garden:
– Choose an area in your yard with ample sunlight (most vegetables need at least 8 hours of direct sunlight to grow properly).
– Avoid low lying areas where soil won’t drain properly.
– Consider adding organic topsoil and organic fertilizer or manure.
– Plan out your garden space based on how much your family will eat and preferences (ie: my family loves Kale so we have a larger space devoted to it).`
– Be sure to buy USDA organic seeds!
– Read up on how to grow and maintain an organic garden and specific plants. The Rodale’s Ultimate Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Green Resource for Every Gardener is a wonderful reference to have on hand.