Family

DIY Eco Friendly Valentines (Repurposed Paper Towel and Toilet Tissue Rolls)

January 21, 2013

My daughter and I decided to make her class Valentines this year out of recycled or repurposed items. We used paper towel and toilet tissue rolls, scrap pieces of pink and red paper, and finger-paints. It was so much fun to make these and more eco-friendly than buying the pre-made Valentine’s cards at the store!

Materials Needed
Paper Towel or Toilet Tissue Rolls (collect as many as you need for your child’s size class)
Red and Pink Paints
Glue
Glue Stick
Tape
Scissors
Candy/Treats (to fill rolls)

Instructions

Cut Paper Towel Rolls in thirds or toilet tissue rolls in half (or to your size preference). Paint rolls with red paint. I found rolling them in paint worked better than using a brush as the paint was more evenly applied. Once rolls have thoroughly dried, dip finger in pink paint and add polk-dots to rolls. Next, cut out circles in red paper to the size of the roll’s hole. Then cut pink circles out slightly larger than the red circles and use glue stick to attach to one another. Apply glue to the rim of the roll and firmly attach to the red and pink paper base (allow several minutes to dry).

Cut out hearts in pink and red paper and then place tape on either side of the back of the hearts. Fill rolls with whatever treats you choose (we used chocolate kisses because they fit nicely) and place heart lid on top.

Share:Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

• Reply Reecea Henderson January 21, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Saw your link on Craft-O-Maniac Monday. So cute!! I love eco friendly, repurposed, upcycle ideas! My post is #389 – also an upcycle craft.

• Reply Feral Turtle January 21, 2013 at 8:52 pm

What a cute idea. Good job.

• Reply Emily Thompson January 22, 2013 at 12:44 pm

super cute! I love how the treats are inside! Would love for you to come by and share it at my party! Tasteful Tuesday: http://www.nap-timecreations.com/

• Reply Peace Love Organic Mommy January 22, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Thanks ladies!

• Reply Jill January 23, 2013 at 2:35 am

What a lovely idea!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

• Reply Nici Higby January 23, 2013 at 6:34 pm

These are adorable! I love TP and Paper towel tube crafts. Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Nici

• Reply Chandra Sirois January 23, 2013 at 8:11 pm

So very cute! I am for sure going to make these for my co workers! I would love to have you link up at Show Me Your Plaid Mondays! http://www.pandpkitchen.com/2013/01/20/show-me-your-plaid-mondays-7/

• Reply A to Zebra Celebrations January 24, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Oh my goodness!!!I love using recycled products. I hope you stop by to link- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/01/breakfast-valentines-day-party.html
    Nancy

• Reply Designed Decor January 25, 2013 at 4:46 pm

This is one creative idea, I love it!
    I just started a new link party and would love if you would come on over and share your post or social media sites. http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-link-party4/

DeDe@DesignedDecor

• Reply Наталия Ошуева January 27, 2013 at 4:49 pm

a very interesting idea!
    I invite you to Gallery of romantic ideas

• Reply Becolorful January 27, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Clever and I always like handmade best. Thanks for sharing.
    p

• Reply CuteEverything.com January 28, 2013 at 3:59 am

How cute! I love how they are a little holder for the candy, what a nice surprise! THanks for linking at Printabelle!

• Reply Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor January 30, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Those are so cute and fun!! What a great way to reuse stuff! Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday’s Temptation. Your post got the most view and I will be featuring it at tonights party! Wahoo!!
    Jill

• Reply Bonny Yokeley January 31, 2013 at 3:11 am

I’ve pinned this to add to my collection of wonderful homemade Valentines. I love finding clever ways to use toilet paper tubes since they are so easy to collect. Thanks!

• Reply Peace Love Organic Mommy January 31, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Thank-you everyone for your nice comments and for stopping by :)

• Reply Crystal Gothe February 14, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Great idea love it so much

• Reply Sohaila February 12, 2018 at 3:41 am

Such a cool craft! I was wondering what to do with my paper towel rolls!